Overall purpose of job:
To Chair Child In Care Reviews primarily and Child Protection Conferences as required in statute, and in accordance with statutory guidance e.g. IRO Handbook, Working Together to Safeguard Children 2018
To be jointly responsible for the maintenance and delivery of a system to ensure that reviews of Looked After Children and Child Protection Conferences are completed within statutory timescales and to the highest standards.
To ensure that Looked After Children and children subject to a child protection plan are at the heart of care planning and decision-making, that they contribute properly and fully to their review/conference, and that LAC reviews and Child protection conferences deliver SMART plans that protect children and promote their welfare.
- Work as an Independent Conference and Reviewing Officer, chairing Children's Reviews and /or Child Protection case conferences in line with carrying out the role in accordance with statutory guidance and timescales, local authority policies and procedures, and departmental quality standards.
- Ensure the effective arrangements, structure and delivery of reviews/conferences to ensure meaningful participation of children, young people, their parents and wider family members, and key professionals who make up the team' around the child, in order to ensure that their voices' are properly understood within the review/case conference, and to help maximise the participation of the child within decision making / care planning
- Produce review recommendations / outline child protection plan which are concise, clear, SMART, and devised so that child safety is promoted and that all aspects of care, development, safeguarding, contact etc are considered thoroughly and appropriately
- To engage and communicate effectively with children and young people of all ages in care and/or who are subject to child protection plans.
- Contribute to the development, delivery, and quality assurance of policies and procedures in the area of Children in care and children subject to Child Protection plans in conjunction with colleagues and senior managers in addition to ensuring actions carried out comply with Council Policies and Procedures.
- Input and maintain records of children's reviews and other contacts relating to children on the children's electronic case recording system, in accordance with local best practice guidance and council policies and procedures.
- Contribute to the quality assurance and analysis of performance information and data relating to the service, and to assist the Service Manager in the completion of reports and plans as required, and in the operation of systems underpinning effective service delivery e.g. allocations.
- Work as part of the wider Children's Services Management Team e.g. contribute to strategic planning consultation forums, policy and practice development work streams etc.
- Take on specific areas of additional responsibility in relation to cohorts of vulnerable children, or areas of specific practice focus e.g. children subject to s.20, and to represent the independent reviewing service in interagency or corporate forums as appropriate.
- To ensure an appropriate balance between healthy challenge and practice support, in order to achieve the best outcomes for children and young people, in accordance with the spirit and letter of the local dispute resolution procedure, in the context of statutory guidance, case law, and council and LSCB procedures.
- In line with statutory guidance and accountabilities, and as an autonomous and independent officer at management level, take responsibility for working to ensure the best outcomes for the child. This includes using escalation processes and dispute frameworks as appropriate, and demonstrating persistent and robust oversight and tracking
- Audit, oversee and track complex case issues including complex child protection enquiries, care planning and public law proceedings, making use of informal and formal challenge and dispute processes when appropriate to ensure the best outcomes.
- To deliver presentations and training materials to a diverse audience especially legislative changes, local priorities etc